The Great Escape
1 – An Open Door
Key Scripture: “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
Temptation is anything that promises satisfaction at the cost of obedience to God.
1. It is not a sin to be tempted.
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” – Hebrews 4:15
2. You are never above temptation.
3. God will never tempt you.
“Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.” – James 1:13-14
Every temptation is an invitation to depend on Christ.
- Think about your last temptation. Was there a way out? How can you get better at taking the way out?
- What is a temptation that you are giving in to that you don’t think is a big deal? How might it be costing you in the long run?
- Do you struggle with “false guilt”? How can that actually make us give in to the temptation?
- Are there areas of your life where you are living like you’re above temptation? What are some of those blind spots you have?
- What are some ways you can find a way out this week? What are the next steps you need to take individually or together?