“Be still and know that I am God” – Psalm 46:10
“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.” – Psalm 1
1. Spiritual stability
- The Word of God inspires prayer.
“Pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.” – James 5:16-18
- The Word of God informs prayer.
“They lifted their voices to God with one accord and said, “O Lord, it is You who made the heaven and the earth and the sea, and all that is in them [see Exodus 20:11], who by the Holy Spirit, through the mouth of our father David your servant, said [quoting Psalm 2], ‘Why did the Gentiles rage, and the peoples devise futile things? The kings of the earth took their stand, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against his Christ.'” – Acts 4:24-26
2. Spiritual character
“Though the fig tree do not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.” – Habakkuk 3:17-18
3. Spiritual blessing
“And in whatever he does, he prospers.” – Psalm 1:3
- What do your current practices of God’s Word and prayer look like? How has your understanding of prayer in relationship to God’s Word grown tonight?
- Where do your find yourself in your spiritual walk right now? Would you say you are drawing from streams of water or more in the desert? Why?
- Do you find it difficult to be still or quiet? Why or why not?
- Why does memorizing and meditating on God’s Word yield such benefit? How did you see that in the POW’s story?
- What are some practices you can try to deepen your faith and prayer life this week?