5 – Transformation
Transformation: the process by which God forms Christ’s character in believers through the Holy Spirit. This process involves the transformation of the whole person in thoughts, behaviors and styles of relating with God and others. It results in a life of service to others and witness for Christ.
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” – Romans 12:1-2
1. Transformation renews your mind
So let’s start with the problem. In “Be renewed in the spirit of your minds.” – Ephesians 4:23
2. Transformation changes your heart
“Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life.” – John 3:5-6
“I am [Jesus] the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Me [Jesus].” – John 14:6
“And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.” – Ezekiel 36:26
3. Transformation affects all of your life
“Do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness has meant to lead you to repentance?” – Romans 2:4
- Why do we enjoy stories of transformation so much? What are some of your favorite?
- How does a caterpillar transformation to a butterfly really mirror what takes place in the life of a Christian?
- Why do you think transformation must start in the mind?
- What is wrong with your heart? Why do you need a transformed one?
- What are some ways you have seen God transform your entire life? What are areas you are praying He will still transform?