4 – Adoption
Adoption: the act of leaving one’s natural family and entering into the privileges and responsibilities of another
“But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, “Abba, Father.” Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.” – Galatians 4:4-8
1. God changes our status
2. God changes our family
“Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy, and without fault in his eyes.” – Ephesians 1:4
3. God changes our future.
“So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you have received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, ‘Abba, Father.’ For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.” Now, listen to this. “And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ, we are heirs of God’s glory.” – Romans 8:15-17
- What impacted you most about the video we saw? How does it compare to Christian adoption?
- Why was Jesus atonement so crucial to us being able to be adopted?
- How is spiritual adoption costly? What does that mean?
- When you think about being adopted into God’s family, what means the most to you?
- How can you share about God’s plan for adoption this week?