4 – Understanding Your Family Future
Your direction, not your intention will determine your future family.
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” – Matthew 7:24-27
1. Both men shared the same vision
“Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, But happy is he who keeps the law.” – Proverbs 29:18
2. Both men listened to God’s truth
“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” – Psalm 119:105
“For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” – Proverbs 2:6
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
3. Both men faced the same storm
“I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me” – Deuteronomy 5:9
“…showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments” – Exodus 20:6
“So we continue to pray for you ever since we heard about you. We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what he wants to do in your life. We ask him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord. You’ll continually do good and kind things for others. All the while you learn to know God better and better.” – Colossians 1:9-10
“Give thanks whatever happens. This is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
You can’t start wrong and expect to finish right.
- How has this series helped you think about your current family? What changes can you make towards a more healthy family life?
- Can you share some of your hopes (vision) for your future family?
- What is the best way to prepare for storms in life? How can you protect your future family by preparing today?
- Todd said, “Your direction, not your intention, determines your destination” – how does that apply to your future family?
- What are some practical steps you can take toward building a solid foundation on the rock today?