1 – Understanding God’s Design
God’s original plan and purpose for family:
1. God created and planned for families.
“Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” – Genesis 2:18
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” – Genesis 2:24
2. God uses earthly families to portray spiritual family.
“So now Jesus, and the ones He makes holy have the same father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters.” – Hebrews 2:11
“God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.” – Ephesians 1:5
3. God has given guidelines for families.
“For I know the plans I have for you, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11
“I will obey your teaching forever and ever. I will live in freedom.” – Psalm 119:44
Thoughts that should challenge you as you better understand God’s design for families, and how He wants you to fit and function in your own family:
1. Commit to work for the health of your family.
“Children obey your parents the way the Lord wants. This is the right thing to do. The command said, ‘Honor your father and mother. This is the first commandment that has a promise with it.” – Ephesians 6:1
2. Cancel the idea of trying to control your family.
“You must love the Lord your God with all your heart and your soul and all your mind and all your strength. What’s the greatest commandment? Love God. That’s it. The second is equally important. Love your neighbor as yourself. No other commandment is greater than these.” – Mark 12:30-31
3. Cultivate a Christ-like attitude to show your family.
- As we start this family series, what usually comes to mind when you think of family? How do you hope this series may help your family?
- How does understanding God’s design for families help you better fit in yours? How does understanding living in a sinful, fallen world help you understand?
- Where do you find yourself trying to control your family? How does that end up working out for you?
- How does focusing on your relationship with Christ and your character actually help your family around you?
- What are some practical steps you could take this week to love, honor and respect your family (mainly parents) more?