How to Raise Your Parents
4 – Withdrawals and Deposits
Two big withdrawals that will cause pain in your relationship with your parents…
But I want to leave you with hope. Because I believe the better you can understand this banking relationship principle, the better your relationships will become.
1. God cares about your family life
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father who is full of mercy and he is the God of all comfort. He comforts us every time we have trouble so we can comfort others when they have trouble. We can comfort them with the same comfort that God gives us.” – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
2. God can heal the wounds in your family life
“Jesus went throughout Galilee teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness among the people.” – Matthew 4:23
“If anyone belongs to Christ, he is made new. Old things have gone. Everything is made new.” – 2 Corinthians 5:17
So how do you build trust in your relationship with your parents? Let me give you some steps…
1. Focus on your relationship with God
“Come near to God and God will come near to you. You’re sinners so clean out the sin in your life. You’re trying to follow God and the world at the same time.” – James 4:8
2. Find ways to make deposits of trust
“Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.” – Colossians 3:20
3. Fight and don’t give up – even when it’s hard
“I ask the Father and his great glory to give you the power to be strong in spirit, give you that strength through his spirit. I pray that you can understand how wide and how long and how high and how deep that love is. Christ’s love is greater than any person can ever know.” – Ephesians 3:16
- How has this series helped you think about your relationship with your parents? What are some changes you could make?
- What areas do you tend to make withdrawals in your relationship with your parents? Are disrespect and disobedience a part of those withdrawals?
- Do you see how focusing on your relationship with Jesus can actually help all your relationships? How so?
- What are some practical ways that you can make deposits in your relationship with your parents this week?