Did God Really Say That?
3 – You Can Live However You Want
“Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” – John 8:32
Three cultural misbeliefs about sin, and what God really said about them:
1. I’m not a bad person.
“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” – I John 1:8
“There is no one righteous, not even one.” – Romans 3:10
2. All sin is the same
“For the wages of sin is death…” – Romans 6:23
“Beware of the scribes (Pharisees)… who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.” – Luke 20:46-47
“You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above. Therefore he who delivered me over to you has the greater sin.” – John 19:11
“Flee sexual immorality (sin)… no other sin so clearly affects the body as this one.” – 1 Corinthians 6:18
3. I’ve already done it I might as well keep on doing it.
“Shall we go on sinning; the grace may increase? Bye, no means of course not. Since we died to sin how can we live in it any longer?” – Romans 6:1
Spiritual maturity is not about how much you know it’s about how well you obey.
“God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. When you are tempted he will also provide a way out so you can endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13
“If we confess our sins God, is faithful and just and he will forgive our sins and what will he do, he will purify us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9
- In your faith, which do you tend to prefer, knowledge or obedience? Why?
- Is there a sin that you are allowing to continue in your life? What areas of your life are growing in the wrong direction?
- What choices are you making because you think it isn’t hurting anyone?
- What does God want you to do differently to overcome the sin that has held you hostage?
- How can you apply what your learned tonight this week?