3: I believe in God… but I don’t want to be a freak
Key Scripture: “They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny Him.” – Titus 1:16
“The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me…” – Isaiah 29:13
Someone who believes in God, but lives as if He doesn’t exist.
“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” – Revelation 3:14-15
“So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” – Revelation 3:16
A Somewhat Christian…
1. Craves acceptance from people more than acceptance from God.
2. Rarely shares their faith in Christ.
3. Does whatever it takes to alleviate their guilt.
4. Thinks more about life on earth than eternity in heaven.
5. Gauges their morality by comparing to others.
6. Wants to be saved from the penalty of sin without changing their ways.
7. Only turns to God when they are in a bind.
8. Gives whenever it doesn’t hinder his standard of living.
9. Are not much different from the rest of the world.
10. Wants the benefits of what Christ did without conforming to who He is.
“You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” – Revelation 3:17
“Here I am, I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come in and eat with him and he with me.” – Revelation 3:20
1 – Are you more passionate about Christ this year than last year? Why or why not?
2 – Review the 10 qualities of lukewarm Christians. What is the biggest one (if any) that applies to you?
3 – What are you going to do about your answer to question 2?
4 – Think of someone with a “hot” faith. What sets them apart in your mind?
5 – Do you find yourself more interested in what God has or what God wants? What do you think God wants from your life?