Did God Really Say That?
2 – I Just Want You to Be Happy
“May all who are godly be happy!” – Psalm 97:12
If you believe that God’s supreme goal for you is your happiness, here’s what you eventually start to do:
1. You’ll believe that whatever makes me happy must be right, and whatever makes me unhappy must be wrong.
2. You’ll believe that discomfort, delay, risk, suffering, inconveniences and obstacles can’t possibly be God’s will.
3. You’ll begin to worship the false gods of comfort, money, pleasure and things.
God does not want us to pursue happiness. God wants us to pursue Him.
1. God doesn’t want you happy when it causes you to do something wrong or unwise.
“But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do.” – 1 Peter 1:15
2. God doesn’t want you happy when it’s only based on the things of this world.
“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in them. For everything in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the pride of life, comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires, they pass away. They’re gone, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.” – 1 John 2:15-17
“In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart. I have overcome this world.” – John 16:33
“Developing perseverance in you, and perseverance must finish its work, so you may be mature and complete in Christ, not lacking anything” – James 1:4
“Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” – Psalm 37:4
“May all who are godly be happy… in the Lord and crown him, our holy God.” – Psalm 97:12
1 – What are some things that make you happy? What does culture say you need to be happy?
2 – If God just doesn’t want you to be happy, then what does He want?
3 – What is the scariest part about replacing the pursuit of happiness with the pursuit of God?
4 – Talk about some things in your life that you should value higher than happiness.
5 – How can you spend your week pursuing holiness over happiness? Be practical.