1: I believe in God… but I don’t fear Him
A Christian Atheist is someone who believes in God, but lives as if he doesn’t exist.
“They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny Him.” – Titus 1:16
“But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God- having a form of godliness but denying its power…” – 2 Timothy 3:1-5
“Sin whispers to the wicked, deep within their hearts. They have no fear of God to restrain them. In their blind conceit, they cannot see how wicked they really are.” – Psalm 36:1-2
WHEN YOU TRULY FEAR GOD
- You’ll serve him wholeheartedly without any conditions.
“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” – Genesis 22:12
“If you love me, you will obey what I command.” – John 14:15
2. You’ll be forever ruined.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.” – Isaiah 6:5
“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” – Isaiah 6:8
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” – Proverbs 9:10
“The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.” – Proverbs 14:27
“The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.” – Proverbs 22:4
1. A Christian atheist is someone who believes in God but lives as if He doesn’t exist. In what area of your life are you a practical atheist? Be specific.
2. What do you think of when you think about the fear of God?
3. How can you develop a more healthy fear of God?
4. Look back at 2 Timothy 3:1-5. Do you see any of these qualities in your daily life? What are you going to do about it?
5. Where is God challenging you based on tonight’s talk?