1 – Jesus Magnets
Our goal as Christ followers isn’t to draw people to us, but to point people to Jesus.
1. Jesus attracted those who were broken and hurting.
“Then Jesus went out to the lake shore again and taught the crowd that were coming to him. As he walked along he saw Levi, son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax-collectors booth. ‘Follow me and be my disciple,’ Jesus said to him. So Levi got up and followed him. Later Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests along with many other tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. There were many people of this kind among Jesus’ followers. But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, ‘Why does he eat with such scum?’ When Jesus heard this he told them, ‘Healthy people don’t need a doctor. Sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous but those who know they are sinners.’” – Mark 2:13-17
“As he walked along he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax collector’s booth. ‘ Follow me and be my disciple.’” – Mark 2:14
“Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to come as his diner guests along with many tax collectors, and other people who were on the outskirts of society, and other disreputable sinners.” – Mark 2:15
2. Jesus repelled those who thought they had it all together.
“When the teachers of religious law who were the Pharisees saw him eating with tax collector and other sinners they asked his disciples, ‘Why does he eat with such scum.’” – Mark 2:16
How to live magnetically…
“You [talking to his disciples] will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere. In Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8
“In the same way let your good deeds shine out for all to see so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” – Matthew 5:16
1. What stood out to you tonight about our talk on magnetism?
2. Does it make sense to you that we are to be magnets? Why is that important for our faith?
3. How are we magnets with our words? How are we magnets with our actions?
4. What are some ways you can be a magnet this week? With the goal of drawing people to yourself so that you can then point them to Jesus?