9 – Lured by Lust
Key Scripture: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:13
The most attractive and common fakes in the area of sexual impurity that Satan will try to sell you:
1. Sexual immorality is normal
“He [Adam] gave names to all the livestock, birds, and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him. He’s naming all these animals and then God says, “There’s no companion for you. Let’s create one.” “So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to the man. The man said, ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, for she was taken out of man.’” – Genesis 2:20-23
“Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy.” – Hebrews 13:4
2. A fantasy-filled life is no big deal
“You have heard that the law of Moses says, `Do not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So if your eye – even if it is your good eye – causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your hand – even if it is your stronger hand – causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.” – Matthew 5:27-30
“Our bodies were not made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies.” – 1 Corinthians 6:13
The truth is God does care about you. He understands how you’re wired because He wired you. Here are some action steps to take in order to find the love and the intimacy that you crave.
1. Experience God’s love (our real desire is to be intimate with HIM!)
“And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.” – Ephesians 3:18-19
2. Enjoy God’s Plan (pursue HIS best through obedience!)
“And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice – the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.” – Romans 12:1-2
1. What stuck out in your mind about what Todd talked about tonight?
2. How comfortable are you talking about sexual purity? Why or why not? Have you talked about it with your parents yet?
3. Why do you think our culture is so obsessed with sexual immorality?
4. Do you feel like you can fight against the culture to chase after this fake treasure? How?
Read Matthew 5:27-30
1. How do these verses show how serious Jesus is about this fake treasure?
2. Think about a temptation you face in this area? What are some of the ways out that God may be providing?
3. How does this passage encourage you to think about the ultimate treasure?
4. What are some ways this week that you can battle the temptations to chase after fake treasures in the area of sexual purity?
Spend some time in prayer asking God to help you see Him as the greatest treasure. Ask Him to protect your purity and give you a heart to treasure Him above anything the world may offer.