Who is Jesus?
6 – He is Good Shepherd
Key Scripture: “I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father.” – John 16:28
“He was taken up before their very eyes and the cloud hit him from their side. They were looking intently, up in the sky as he was going. Then suddenly two men dressed in white, perhaps angels stood beside them, men of Galilee, they said, “why do you stand here looking to the sky?” “The same Jesus who has been taken from you into heaven will come back in the very same way you’ve seen him go into heaven.” – Acts 1:9-11
“That God placed all things under his feet, and appointed him to be the head over everything for the church.” – Ephesians 1:22
“Jesus Christ is Lord over all.” – Acts 10:36
“He, – Jesus – is the image of the invisible God the first born over all creation.” – Colossians 1:15
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know My sheep, and My sheep know Me.” – John 10:11
We need a shepherd.
Follow the lead of the shepherd.
“The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; He leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to His name. Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid because You are close beside me. Your rod and Your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely, Your goodness and Your unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.” – Psalm 23
1) Explain the difference between Jesus as Savior and Jesus as Lord? Why is His resurrection and rule as important as His death on the cross?
2) How much have you thought about Jesus role in your life? Did you just look to Him at the cross one time and them forget about Him? Explain.
3) Do you recognize that being a sheep isn’t really a complement? What in your life (thinking and actions) shows you that you are just like a sheep?
4) Do you understand Jesus as a Good Shepherd? How have you seen Him as a Shepherd in your life?
5) What are some ways you can submit to His leading as Shepherd even this week?