6 – Live it Up – YOLO!
Key Scripture: Jeremiah 29:13, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.
“LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath.” – Psalm 39:4-5
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:19-21
1. I Will Guard Against Materialism.
“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” – Luke 12:15
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.” – Luke 12:20-21
2. I Will Be Generous.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son…” – (John 3:16)
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink…” – Matthew 25:35
And Jesus responds: “…whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” – Matthew 25:40
3. I Will Focus On What Matters.
“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ…” – Philippians 3:7-8
“The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.” – 1 John 2:17
1. What stuck out in your mind about what Todd talked about tonight?
2. Why do you think our culture pushes you so hard to think and live YOLO?
3. Why doesn’t YOLO really work? What are the pitfalls to just living it up as a middle school student?
4. How did Larry’s story impact you?
5. How does actually think about the end and the life to come better help us live this life? Explain.
Read Philippians 3:7-9
1. How do these verses show us that God is the ultimate treasure?
2. How do these verses show us how to keep our stuff in perspective to eternity?
3. How do these verses show us that Jesus is the ultimate treasure and that the life to come is the reward for how we live this life?
4. How does this passage encourage you to think about what you treasure?
5. What would it look like for you to live differently that the world around you when it comes to your life and what you value in this life? How would you be different as a middle school student if you lived with eternity in view?
Spend some time in personal reflection and prayer about your life and how you are living it. Also, think about the life that is to come. Pray against areas where you are chasing after the treasure of “living it up.” Pray that pursuing Christ and making Him your focus would be your ultimate treasure.