Who is Jesus?
4 – He is the Gate
Key Scripture: “It was for this very reason that I came to this hour.” Jesus said, “All of my life and ministry and temptations and trails and teachings have all culminated in this forth coming moment that I have come to earth as God for this mission of dying upon a cross.” – John 12:27
“Anyone who is hung on a tree is cursed of God.” – Deuteronomy 21
“There were many that were appalled at him…His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness.” – Isaiah 52:14
1. Jesus died on the cross without sin.
2. Jesus died on the cross to take our sin.
3. Jesus died on the cross so we can be made right with God.
“He was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities.” – Isaiah 53:5
4. Jesus died on the cross to defeat death.
“God, so loved the world that he gave his only son, that if we believe in him we need not perish and go to hell and suffer the fate he did but instead receive the gift of eternal life.” – John 3:16
“I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.” – John 10:9
– Was there anything you learned tonight about the cross that surprised you? What was it?
– How does really knowing about the cross help you better understand Jesus? How does looking at the cross continually help our relationship with Him?
– Why would Jesus say that He is the gate? What does that have to do with the cross?
– It’s been said that the ground at the foot of the cross is level. What does that mean? Do you see yourself coming to the cross empty handed?
– Who needs to hear the message of the cross this week? Pray for boldness to share with them.