Who is Jesus?
3 – He Came as Light
Key Scripture: “And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” – Luke 4:14-21
1. Take the Gospel to the poor.
2. Seek freedom for the enslaved.
“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” – Galatians 5:1
3. Offer sight to the blind.
“…the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 4:4
4. Present freedom to the oppressed.
“Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.” – Hebrews 2:18
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12
– What did you learn about Jesus tonight? How does it affect your life?
– Why does knowing why Jesus came (His mission) better help you understand how you are to use your life (why He saved you)?
– What is represented by Jesus being the light of the world?
– How can you identify ways that you walked in darkness? How is the world currently in darkness?
– What would it look like for you to better live out Jesus mission? What are some practical ways you can practice His mission this week?