2 – Hunting Gold
Key Scripture: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:13
“God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.” – John Piper
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:19-21
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” – Matthew 6:33
1. Guard Against Materialism
“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” – Luke 12:15
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.” – Luke 12:20-21
2. Be Radically Generous
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son…” – John 3:16
3. Focus On What Matters
“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ…” – Philippians 3:7-8
“The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.” – 1 John 2:17
1. What stuck out in your mind about what Todd talked about tonight?
2. Why do you think there is so much pressure to have? And then when we do have – why aren’t we satisfied?
3. When you think of the area of “materialism” – where are you and most other teenagers chasing after?
4. Why do you think there is such an emphasis in “stuff.” How does that compare to the rest of the world? Why can actually having more actually hurt you?
Read Matthew 6:19-24
1. How does Jesus teach about the things of this world – how does He describe them?
2. Does Jesus ever teach that having stuff is bad? What is the important principle He teaches?
3. Verse 21 really is a powerful verse because it shows us that our heart always tells the truth. We can say one thing with our mouth, but our heart will always reveal our priorities. How does it work like that?
4. How does this passage encourage you to think about what you treasure?
Read Matthew 6:33
1. How does this verse help us with our priorities?
2. What does it mean to seek the Kingdom?
3. Why does Jesus want to be sought first and not just sought whenever or however?
Spend some time in personal reflection and prayer about the “treasures” of your life. Pray that Christ would be your number one treasure and investment.