You Are What You Eat
4 – God’s Word Grows Godliness
Key Scripture: “Don’t waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides.” – John 6:27
“For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” – Romans 15:4
1. God’s Word is for our instruction.
“…but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.” – Psalm 1:2-3
2. God’s Word gives us steadfastness and encouragement.
“We do not lose heart . . . For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison . . . We look to the things that are unseen . . . because the things that are unseen are eternal.” – 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
3. God’s Word builds our hope.
“And now, Israel, what does the LORD require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I command you this day for your good?” – Deuteronomy 10:12-13
“No one has ever left house or brother or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time . . . with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.” – Mark 10:29-30
1. How has this “You are what you eat” idea and series impacted you? What are some unhealthy things you need to quit spiritually eating?
2. Do you treasure God’s Word? How did seeing the Kimyal tribe impact your view of God’s Word?
3. How do we use God’s Word as a weapon? How do we use it for nourishment?
4. What keeps you from giving more time and energy to God’s Word?
5. What are some practices you can put in place even this week when it comes to regularly taking in God’s Word?