Jonah: God’s Mercy is Relentless
4 – Our Fickle Heart
Key Scripture: Jonah 4
1. God calls us to forgive like we have been forgiven
“For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” – Matthew 6:14
2. God is sovereign, merciful and just
“There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city. And Jonah was very happy about the vine. But at dawn the next day God provided a worm. He provided the worm, which chewed the vine so that it withered. When the sun arose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah’s head so that he grew faint.” – Jonah 4:5-8
3. Our heart always needs the Gospel
“But the Lord said, ‘You have been concerned about this vine, but you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and it died overnight.’ But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?” – Jonah 4:10-11
– How do you usually handle your anger? How do you deal with what you feel is fair or not when it comes to your relationship with God?
– Why is it so important to understand that God’s plan for you is good and just? How can that help you through tough situations in life?
– What is the Gospel? Why do you need it everyday?
– Where is your “Ninevah?” How can you “preach” repentance there?
– What did God teach you through our study of Jonah? How can you apply it to your life?