You Are What You Eat
1 – Media Matters
Key Scripture: “Don’t waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides.” – John 6:27
1. The messages from media are not always appropriate with our values as Christ-followers
“And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.” – Ephesians 2:1-3
2. The messages from media can and will desensitize your soul
“Like a muddied spring or a polluted well are the righteous who give way to the wicked.” – Proverbs 25:26
3. The messages from media will affect your spiritual life
“Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.” – Romans 12:2
“Test everything; hold fast to what is good; reject every kind of evil.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
Receive, Redeem, Reject.
– If you had to put your life on the scale of Christ-like or cultural – where would you rate yourself?
– Is it easy for you to see areas where you have become desensitized? How can living in Christian community help us here?
– What tends to be the hardest area for you to discern how you are being influenced by culture through media (music, TV, movies, etc)? Why?
– How does the metric of receive, redeem, reject serve as good guide for us as we navigate living “in this world, but not of this world”? Give an example of each “R” in your life currently?
– Why does God care so much about what we “eat” when it comes to culture? How can you be more aware and vigilant this week? How can you better trust the Spirit to lead and protect you?