Jonah: God’s Mercy is Relentless
1 – The Jonah in the Mirror
4/12/15 – MS
Key Scripture: “Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and call out against it, for their evil has come up before me.” But Jonah rose to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to Tarshish. So he paid the fare and went on board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the Lord.” – Jonah 1:2-3
God will often ask you to do some things that you don’t want to do.
“You can tell the maturity of a person between the distance of the command of God and the obedience. If the distance is short, they are mature. If the distance is long, it is immaturity.” – Erwin McManus
Whenever God does speak, You can always find a boat sailing in the opposite direction.
When you are on the run, doing the wrong thing, God may send a storm to grab your attention.
Jonah’s worst nightmare was exactly what he needed.
“And the Lord appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah…” – Jonah 1:17
1. Where do you see Jonah when you look in the mirror?
2. What has God asked you to do that you haven’t done? (Is there any area of disobedience in your life?)
3. In what areas of your life are you most afraid to obey God (where are you tempted to run)?
4. What do you think it would look like for you to be fully obedient to God?
5. How can you practice listening and obeying God even this week?