5 – Committed Love
Key Scripture: Song of Solomon 7
We are all in relationships, but there is no one on earth who can meet all your needs or give you the intimacy we desire.
1. If you think something good, say it.
“How beautiful are your feet in sandals, O noble daughter! Your rounded thighs are like jewels, the work of a master hand. Your navel is a rounded bowl that never lacks mixed wine. Your belly is a heap of wheat, encircled with lilies. Your two breasts are like two fawns, twins of a gazelle.” – Song of Solomon 7:1-3
“Your head crowns you like Carmel, and your flowing locks are like purple; a king is held captive in the tresses.” – Song of Solomon 7:5
“Your stature is like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters. I say I will climb the palm tree and lay hold of its fruit. Oh may your breasts be like clusters of the vine, and the scent of your breath like apples, and your mouth like the best wine.” – Song of Solomon 7:7-9
“I am my beloved’s, and his desire is for me.” – Song of Solomon 7:10
2. If you think something special, do it.
- Purposeful time
“Come, my beloved, let us go out into the fields and lodge in the villages” – Song of Solomon 7:11
“Let us go out early to the vineyards and see whether the vines have budded, whether the grape blossoms have opened and the pomegranates are in bloom. There I will give you my love.” – Song of Solomon 7:12
- Thoughtful acts
“The mandrakes give forth fragrance, and beside our doors are all choice fruits, new as well as old, which I have laid up for you, O my beloved.” – Song of Solomon 7:13
3. If you want something different, be it.
“Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord.” – Song of Solomon 8:6
– Does it seem like committed love is out of reach? What areas will you need to develop now for it to be a reality for later?
– Do you find it easier to say something special or do something special? How can these principles apply to all relationships (beyond romantic)?
– Todd said, “If you don’t like what you are getting, look at what you are giving.” How does that apply to your life right now?
– What big takeaways have you gotten from this series? How will they impact your life moving forward? How can you use them as a witness to others?