2 – More of Him
Key Scripture: “He [meaning God] must become greater; I must become less.” – John 3:30
When God looks at the center of the universe, he doesn’t look at you.
“It was in the year King Uzziah died that I saw the Lord. He was sitting on a lofty throne, and the train of his robe filled the Temple. Attending him were mighty seraphim, each having six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. They were calling out to each other, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies! The whole earth is filled with his glory!” Their voices shook the Temple to its foundations, and the entire building was filled with smoke. Then I said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.” – Isaiah 6:1-5
God knows that He is worthy of our worship and so He insists that we recognize that and respond. Why?
- Because it’s His rightful place.
“What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” – 1 Corinthians 4:7
- Because it’s for our good and joy.
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind….” – Romans 12:2
This process is not a formula, it’s a journey.
“Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become habits. Watch your habits for they become your character. And watch your character for it will become your destiny!” (Margaret Thatcher)
- Renewing my mind involves spending time with God!
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” – Galatians 5:22-23
- Renewing my mind involves daily obedience!
“Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey —whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?” – Romans 6:16
“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.” – James 1:22-24
My closeness to God can be measured by the time it takes from His command to my obedience!
– Are you able to see your own struggles in trying to be less? How does seeing more of God help you see less of you?
– Does it seem weird to you that God is ‘all about Himself’? Why does He have the right to want to be the greatest and worshipped by His children?
– How does making more of Him actually benefit us?
– What did you learn about your mind and how it must be renewed? What are ways you can practice that renewal this week?
– How can you put into practice the ‘less of you and more of Him’ this week?