Silly Love Songs
2 – Get it Right
Things that Culture will try to tell you that they have right:
1. Sex outside of marriage is normal
“He [Adam] gave names to all the livestock, birds, and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him. He’s naming all these animals and then God says, “There’s no companion for you. Let’s create one.” “So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to the man. The man said, ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, for she was taken out of man.’” – Genesis 2:20-23
- Sex is procreation. That’s making babies. That’s one of the purposes of sex.
- Sex is recreation. There is a fun element to it. Sex is great! God created it to be fun and enjoyable.
- Sex is celebration. When you do it the way God planned it, there’s a celebration factor.
- Sex is glorification. When sex happens inside of marriage, God is glorified.
“Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy. You probably never thought of that before, that sexual intimacy is sacred in marriage. Guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy… between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex.” – Hebrews 13:4
2. Alternative lifestyles are equally valid.
“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” – Genesis 2:24
“Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshipped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty.” – Romans 1:26-27
3. A strong sexual image is everything
“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!” – Psalm 139:13-14
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed…” – Romans 12:2
“Our bodies were not made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies.” – 1 Corinthians 6:13
– Where do you most often hear messages from culture when it comes to sex? Have you been able to know if they were truth or lies?
– Do you have a better understanding of God’s plan (His truth) from His Word when it comes to sex? Why does what God says make so much sense?
– How much have you had to face the issue of some of your friends talking about sex or even alternative lifestyles like homosexuality? How have you usually responded?
– Why should we as Christians be the most knowledgeable and the most comfortable talking about sex? How can knowing the truth help you resist the image and beliefs culture is pushing on you?
– Todd shared 1 Corinthians 6:13. How can that verse guide you through these middle school years?