Change of Heart
2 – Friend Change
Key Scripture: “And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart…” – Ezekiel 11:19
God wants you as His friend.
1. Unconditional acceptance
“Love forgets mistakes; nagging about them parts the best of friends.” – Proverbs 17:9
“God will accept all people in every nation who trust God as Abraham did.” – Romans 4:17
2. Unbelievable peace
“Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.” – Romans 5:1
3. Unbeatable loyalty
“Many people claim to be loyal, but it is hard to find a trustworthy person.” – Proverbs 20:6
“There are ‘friends’ who pretend to be friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” – Proverbs 18:24
“If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself.” – 2 Timothy 2:1
1. Accepting His offer of friendship
“If you tell others with your own mouth that Jesus Christ is your Lord and believe in your own heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” – Romans 10:9
2. Pursue peace with God and others
“It was through what His Son did that God cleared a path for everything to come to Him – all things in heaven and on earth – for Christ’s death on the cross has made peace with God for all.” – Colossians 1:20-21
3. Live a life of loyalty to God
“Don’t you realize that making friends with God’s enemies – the evil pleasures of this world – makes you an enemy of God? I say it again, that if your aim is to enjoy the evil pleasure of the unsaved world, you cannot also be a friend of God.” – James 4:4
– What does it make you feel like that God would want to have you as a friend?
– When you think about your relationship with God, does it seem like a friendship? Why?
– How can knowing God’s friendship change what kind of friend you are to others?
– Who do you know (school, sports team, etc) that needs a change of heart? How can you best pray for them and share with them this week?